Author Topic: Great forum - hoping it's still active.  (Read 1069 times)

Offline onlypnp

Great forum - hoping it's still active.
« on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 06:49:48 PM »
Hi one and all,
I just posted a bunch of Lepidoptera into the forum, hoping for some ID help. I did notice however, that there's been little activity over the past year or so, just wondering if the forum is in fact still active. Too bad if not, because it'd be a wonderful resource for an area that only recently seems to be catching the attention (much deserved) of traveling naturalists. Personally, I've visited Guyana three times since 2013, always in January, leading a small group of Canadian birders exploring the natural wonders of this great little country. Would love to get to Surinam and Fr. Guiana as well one of these days.
Anyway, here's hoping somebody (Auke) is indeed still visiting the forum occasionally).
All the best,
Thanks
Paul

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Great forum - hoping it's still active.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
Hi Paul!

Yes, the forum has been rather quiet since its start, but I'm not giving up yet. With the silent death of the French Guianese insect forum and the very sleepy status of the neotropical butterfly forum, where else can people go for their ID's of insect specimens from the Guianas? Not to mention their pics of birds, snails, plants... Sure, Facebook may be handy at times, but you need to become member of many subfora to get to some knowledgeable people, and it's hard (at least for me) to dig up old topics over there. Let's hope more people come to GNF, so we can turn it into a lively community of Guiana-enthousiasts!

I had a quick look at all your posts and I sure do see some familiar species. Too bad some of your photos are from difficult angles, but who knows what answers our members can still come up with! I just returned to Paramaribo from a month of Surinamese forest and got over 3000 (no typo!) pics to sort out. After that, I'll do my best to get some IDs with your photos. So don't hold you breath, but maybe poke me if there haven't been any answers from me in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Auke :)

Offline onlypnp

Re: Great forum - hoping it's still active.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:23:21 PM »
Cheers, Auke.
As I mentioned I have every intention of maintaining a long relationship with Guyana, which I first visited a couple of years ago. Since I'm supposed to be working when I visit, I find it difficult to spend the time I need to get any decent shots of many insects but I'm hoping that through sheer quantity one or two goodies may show up!
Looking forward to seeing your posts ...
Paul