Author Topic: Nearly an orchid | Pulchranthus surinamensis (Acanthaceae)  (Read 920 times)

Offline MarcelW

Nearly an orchid | Pulchranthus surinamensis (Acanthaceae)
« on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
Last summer on Nassau Mts, at approx 500 m height in Suriname, we did find this plant. Anyone knows its name?
Marcel
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 07:43:15 PM by Auke »

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
Re: Nearly an orchid
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 07:22:21 AM »
Hi Marcel,
This is Pulchranthus variegatus.

Offline MarcelW

Re: Nearly an orchid
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
Thanks for the ID!
Marcel

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Nearly an orchid | Pulchranthus variegatus (Acanthaceae)
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 04:44:29 PM »
I, too, have some photos of this species (with a bit more detail). But when searching online, the name P. variegatus only gets me some drawings and no photos of this species. The drawings don't match in all perspectivs though. Most obviously, the inflorescence of "our" species is hanging down and not standing. I can find just two other species of this genus for the Guianas: P congesta and P. surinamensis. Only the latter one seems to have been reported for Suriname. For neither of them can I find any pictures online or in my physical library though. I got a feeling that this may actually be P. surinamensis. Could someone have a look at this option?

Included a photo of some flowers as well as a photo of most of the rest of the plant. Note the stalk of the inflorescence hanging down from the top of the plant.

Cheers, Auke

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
Auke,
I don't know Pulchranthus surinamensis, however after checking in Flora of the Gianas, I think that you are right.
Indeed inflorescence of P. surinamensis is said to be an open, many branched panicle while that of P. variegatus is a compact raceme.
This open panicle seems to match well with first picture of the topic taken by MarcelW, and probably with your picture too, although the entire inflorescence is not seen.
So, yes, P. surinamensis better than P. variegatus.

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
Thank you for confirming my thoughts. :) I wouldn't call it "many-branched" though. Marcel's specimen has only a few branches, while mine has none. Doesn't the FotG say anything about the inflorescence hanging down?

Cheers, Auke

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
Doesn't the FotG say anything about the inflorescence hanging down?
No, nothing about that.
The inflorescence is said to be "rarely a raceme" (as for your picture).
If by chance you could have a look to Guide to the Flora of Central French Guiana (vol. 2), a picture of P. variegatus can be seen there : corolla is similar to those on your picture, but flowers are much more clustered along the raceme.