Author Topic: Rhinella ?margaritifera? - Bufonidae (French Guiana)  (Read 1772 times)

Offline cosmln

• http://insects.nature4stock.com/
Rhinella ?margaritifera? - Bufonidae (French Guiana)
« on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
Hi,

Found few specimens of what i believe to be Rhinella margaritifera ... this one being the first specimen found and also a strange one at least from what photos I'm able to find.
From what I have found on internet appear that R.margaritifera is a complex of species that was not yet solved.

Anyone opinions?

Thanks,
Cosmin
Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
insects.nature4stock.com

Offline D.Lock

Re: Rhinella ?margaritifera? - Bufonidae (French Guiana)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Hello,

As far a i know it is indeed an unsolved situation. I have encountered specimens similar to the one on your photo, and with the help of the National Zoological Collection of Suriname they deciced it to be Rhinella martyi.

Hope you found this helpful.

Dick

Offline cosmln

• http://insects.nature4stock.com/
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Hello,

As far a i know it is indeed an unsolved situation. I have encountered specimens similar to the one on your photo, and with the help of the National Zoological Collection of Suriname they deciced it to be Rhinella martyi.

Hope you found this helpful.

Dick

Thanks a lot.
Do you have a website or something to add to your name on my website?

All my best,
Cosmin
Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
insects.nature4stock.com

Offline D.Lock

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
If I have a website? Not really, i have facebook and have kept a blog last year: www.wanderlust4you.weebly.com.

Offline Hoogmoed

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
This is a male Rhinella margaritifer (of which R. martyi is a synonym). Females have much higher crests and projecting dorsal extensions of the vertebrae. Indeed under the name R. margaritifer in the Amazon area there are several species hidiong which still have to be sorted out on the basis of size, development of crests, pattern and call.
M.S. Hoogmoed
M.S. Hoogmoed