Author Topic: Blue-green moth/butterfly  (Read 527 times)

Offline D.Lock

Blue-green moth/butterfly
« on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
Hello,

Can you help me ID this blue-greenish moth/butterfly?

Thanks,
Dick

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Blue-green moth/butterfly
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 10:11:58 PM »
This is a skipper (family Hesperiidae), and thus a butterfly rather than a moth. Either the species Astraptes enotrus or something very close to it.

Cheers, Auke

Offline kdjong

• Be the change you want to see in the world!
    • Vogels op Texel
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 06:00:42 AM »
It does look a lot like this one, that I found February '17: https://suriname.observation.org/waarneming/view/135038058

Smiles,
Klaas
Klaas de Jong
Vogelsafari's
Texel - the Netherlands

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Thanks Klaas! Yours is certainly very close to the one photographed by Dick, and it may even be the same species. However, although the identification of your specimen on observation.org is called "certain", it is in fact incorrect. Celaenorrhinus aegiochus is a species from Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia (see www.butterfliesofamerica.com), and it has a somewhat differently shaped white bar on the wing. There is a good number of species of these blueish skippers with white bars, and they're spread over different genera. Even a small difference in the pattern of the bars may mean a different species, which is also why I am not fully certain about my ID of Astraptes enotrus.

Cheers, Auke

Offline kdjong

• Be the change you want to see in the world!
    • Vogels op Texel
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
Thanx, Auke! The label 'certain' is actually automatically inserted in every observation in the database. There is a team of admins/moderators that will try and validate as many observations as possible, but obviously they cannot check all observations. Maybe in time, there will be more time or more funding or, even, more automation in this process. Like, in Holland we already have an app that recognizes a large part of our moths. This will certainly continue to grow in the years to come. Until then, we just try our best and keep each other informed of the latest insights.

Kind regards,
Klaas

PS. I just found out that I posted a message on this particular butterfly on March 31st, 2017, but I never got any response. So I appreciate this discussion a lot!
Klaas de Jong
Vogelsafari's
Texel - the Netherlands