Author Topic: Ormetica look-a-like? | ?Josia ligula (Notodontidae)  (Read 222 times)

Offline kdjong

• Be the change you want to see in the world!
    • Vogels op Texel
Ormetica look-a-like? | ?Josia ligula (Notodontidae)
« on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
This moth was near Palumeu on February 18th, 2018. I found very similar pictures on the internet called Ormetica sp., but I'm not sure whether this is even the same family.

I hope someone can help?

Kind regards,
Klaas
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 01:36:03 AM by Auke »
Klaas de Jong
Vogelsafari's
Texel - the Netherlands

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Ormetica look-a-like?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
I agree that something seems not right for this to be in the subfamily Arctiinae, but I'm not quite sure what that something is. I also have no alternative ID to offer right now. Let's hope someone else can chip in here.

Best, Auke

Offline gernaat

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
I think this is a species of Josia (Notodontidae: Dioptinae: Josiinae). Which one I am not sure. Somewhere near ligata.

Cheers,

Hajo

Offline kdjong

• Be the change you want to see in the world!
    • Vogels op Texel
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Thank you, Hajo!

This name has triggered an internet search: Josia ligata is apparently only found in Ecuador and Colombia, but Josia radians is indistinguishable in genitalic features, but in the field shows narrower orange bands. These two species may even be conspecific. J. radians is found in Venezuela, so this should be even closer.
Then I found also Josia ligula, which, unlike all other members of this family, is supposed to be widespread throughout the Guiana shield (http://tolweb.org/Josia_ligula/138727), and showing a picture that looks a lot like 'my' moth, so I think for the time being I will stick to J. ligula.

Thanks for the help!
Kind regards,
Klaas

Klaas de Jong
Vogelsafari's
Texel - the Netherlands