Author Topic: Spider at Danpaati forest trail | Ctenidae  (Read 929 times)

Offline Vally

Spider at Danpaati forest trail | Ctenidae
« on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
Phoneutria bahiensis?
Wandering spider?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 09:36:46 PM by Auke »

Offline sjl197

Re: Spider at Danpaati forest trail
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 08:23:28 PM »
So, indeed this is one of the Wandering spiders, by that i mean Family Ctenidae.
I use that common name broadly for the family, whereas if meaning any of the genus Phoneutria, i'm thinking a more refined name such as 'armed wandering spiders' may be more suitable for those.

Anyway - i can confidently say its not any Phoneutria sp.
For those, the common of that in the Guianas will be P.fera (which ranges across northern Brazil into eastern Peru and Ecuador and some Amazonian parts of Colombia and Venezuela), but i think the central Amazonian P.reidyi likely also range into the Guianas, and MAYBE P.boliviensis. Others are further South-easterly, with P.bahiensis is coastal Brazil in Bahia state and near.

You could check out some information on this page, which is made by a team focused on amazonian species. Unfortunately many of those in the Guianas will be different. Anyway  https://www.wandering-spiders.net/
Of the options - if it's described already (and I expect there's a high chance it isn't), it can be one of those currently placed in Ctenus - which is a large problem genus undergoing revision to split into more defensible ones, but other options may be some old poorly defined ones like Asthenoctenus, or Centroctenus.
Dr. Stuart Longhorn.
Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PW.

>https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stuart_Longhorn/publications

Offline Vally

Re: Spider at Danpaati forest trail
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
Thanks a lot for the answer sjl197
😀😀😀😀😀

Vally