Author Topic: Who else noticed huge amounts of black beetles this year? | Scarab.: Dynastinae  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hello all,

About two months ago, there were enormous numbers of a certain kind of 2 cm large black beetle (Dyscinetus dubius) attrackted to the lights were I live. At the lights of each house there were dozens up to many thousands of these beetles. I noticed that just kilometres away, none of these beetles could be seen, even though those areas roughly looked the same (e.g. Wanica). I would like to know if other people also saw large numbers of these beetles. At the moment they've almost completely disappeared again.

Suriname, Paramaribo, Beni's Park. Second half of May, first half of June. I've made the pictures in the street which had the largest amount of beetles.

Thank you in advance for sharing your observations!

Auke
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 05:07:35 PM by Auke »

Offline Nicolas Degallier

Re: Who else noticed huge amounts of black beetles this year?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 03:41:26 AM »
 ;) Hello Auke, what is the family of this Discinetus?

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
Hello Nicolas, nice to see you here!

The genus Dyscinetus belongs to the family of the rhinoceros beetles. Scientifically spoken family Scarabaeidae, subfamily Dynastinae. :)

In 1998 I saw large numbers of dead specimens of this species (or its cousin Dyscinetus mendax) under the lights of Cayenne-Rochambeau airport in French Guiana. It is a common and very widespread species, but most of the time you see them only in small numbers. The strange thing is that this year they appeared in huge numbers, but as far as I know only in a very small area. It would be interesting to know what causes this.

Cheers,

Auke

Offline Bird Photographer

• Be attentive and you will observe the unexpected
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
Good evening,

Interesting, where I live in Jaglust we are currently "the past 10 days" experiencing what you witnessed in July. I was going to write and ask the same question. Who else has noticed huge amounts of black beetles? These be black beetles are all over the illuminated areas of our home, so much so that we have been turning off the lights around the patio's to limit the sea of dead beetles found every morning. I witnessed this in the same period in 2007 at Rosebel Gold Mines camp and have not seen it since.
Bird Photographer
aka Jean-Louis

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
@ Jean-Louis: judging by your last photo the beetles at your place are the same as those I witnessed. It seems that 2014 was an exceptionally good year for Dyscinetus dubius: after the huge numbers in May I noticed two smaller waves, the last one only some weeks ago. A couple of years ago there was a similar emergence of rhinoceros beetles at Beni's Park (Paramaribo), but with a different species; that time it was Oxyligyrus zoilus, a slightly larger and more robust species with a shallow depression and tiny horn on its pronotum. It would be interesting to register such mass appearances over a large area and long time and find out what triggerrs them.