Author Topic: What is this? | Tettigoniidae (nymph)  (Read 2877 times)

Offline rushe

What is this? | Tettigoniidae (nymph)
« on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
Hi everyone
Near the Voltzberg I took some pictures of this animal with a very good camouflage.
Does anyone know what it is?
Rushe.

Edit: partial ID added to title - Auke
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 12:17:50 AM by Auke »

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
Hello rushe,

Good work spotting this animal! :thumbs_up:

This is some kind of katydid (bush cricket). The Dutch name is sabelsprinkhaan, I don't know what they are called in French. The scientific name of the katydid-family is Tettigoniidae. They are related to the grasshoppers but are easily distinguished from those because of their very long antennas and because the females have a saber-like ovipositor (egg-laying organ) at the end of their body.

There are many species of katydids living in the Guianas of which some don't have a scientific name yet. Most are very well camouflaged and pretend to be fresh or old leaves or, like this one, some lichens. To give it a more precise name, please post some larger images. I'd love to see it a bit larger, these are very cool insects to see up close!

It's best to first cut (crop) all unnecessary space around the animal (for katydids you may cut the antennas also) and then compress the picture. If it's still to many KB you can resize it. This procedure leaves you with the largest possible photos to post. Each photo on this forum can be 200 KB with a maximum of 700 KB for all photos in a single message. I always use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to do the cropping, compressing and resizing, but depending on your computer you may have other programmes for it. There are also free tools you can download from the internet to help you editing your photos. :)

Thank you for posting, I hope to see some more animals you spotted!

Auke

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 01:29:41 AM »
I don't know what they are called in French.
In French "sauterelle".

Offline rushe

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
Thanks Auke, for the information.
I cropped, compressed and resized the photo's as you suggested, so I hope they are now large (and clear :)) enough for you to tell the precise name.
Rushe.

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: What is this? | Tettigoniidae (nymph)
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
Hi Rushe,

Thank you for the better photos. I can now see that your specimen has no wings but only some stumps (see encircled area on photo). Fully developed wings end behind the tip of the abdomen. That means it is not yet an adult katydid but only a nymph (I'd guess the last nymphal stage before becoming an adult). Unfortunately, that means that even experts probably won't be able to put a name on it.

I have photograped a specimen in Berlijn (Para, Suriname) which looks quite like it (colour pattern, spines) which was identified by Piotr Naskrecki (a Tettigoniidae expert) as an Acanthodis species (see new photo). Even though my specimen was an adult he wasn't able to give a specific name by just looking at the photo. Because of the resemblance between your and mine specimens I think your specimen could be an Acanthodis too, but that's by no means a certain ID!

As this forum grows, some member with a better knowledge of katydids than me might be able to confirm or reject my suggestion for its genus.

Cheers,

Auke
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 12:15:57 AM by Auke »