Author Topic: ID for some seedlings  (Read 251 times)

Offline Albert Reuten

ID for some seedlings
« on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
In february 1980 I bought some craftwork from indeginous people in Suriname to take as souvenirs. One of these was a braided rattle.
Spring this year some seeds fell out of it and I potted them.
They germinated very fast and first looked like some Banana species. But that isn't what they are. They also made shoots besides the plant and grew very well during summer outside.
Someone in Suriname said these are Job's tranen, but the seeds lack the hole thats typical for Job's tranen.

Some pictures

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
Re: ID for some seedlings
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 06:26:58 AM »
Hello Albert,
Given the thick stem of this plant, and since it is sure the seeds came from a wild plant from Suriname, I think it could be a young Phenakospermum guyannense.
Have a look to this picture displaying seeds of this plant : Phenakospermum guyannense.
This is really amazing that these seeds remain alive about 40 years after you bought the rattle !

Offline Albert Reuten

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 04:01:08 PM »
Hi Olivier,

Thanks very much for your reply. I really think we have a match in the plant you describe. That's why at first I thought it was some sort of Musa.
I myself was also very surprised that these seeds were still viable. Only 3 of them germinated, but really fast within 2 weeks. Untill today I had them outside here in Belgium, and allthough temperatures were not that warm the plants kept making new leaves. So somewhat lower temperatures are not that bad for them. But now we expect frostst, so I put them inside.

Is this a perennial or annual plant? I hope I can get it through winter without difficulties so next year growth can go on. These small plants already have strong rootgrowth in their pots.

Thanks very much for your support.

Gr.  Albert

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 05:49:48 PM »
Is this a perennial or annual plant? I hope I can get it through winter without difficulties so next year growth can go on. These small plants already have strong rootgrowth in their pots.
The plant lives for years in the wild, always resprouting from the base.
This is really a robust plant, you will need a very large pot to grow it well I think.

Offline Albert Reuten

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
Sounds great. First challenge is to get it through winter inside my house.

I love big plants so will do my best with it.

Albert