Author Topic: Anartia amathea: Batesian mimicry? an abberation? Hybrid? | A. amathea Dark form  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Vivieke

Took this picture on 6th of December 2014, Suralco Staff Village, Paranam Suriname
At first sight I thought Anartia amathea - same size as a "normal" one - but this species lacks the white spots.

Edit: title extended - Auke
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 01:05:35 PM by Auke »

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Anartia amathea: Batesian mimicry? an abberation? Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
Hello Vivieke,

Nice photo and observation! I'm sure this is an Anartia amathea. I was not aware of colour morphs within this species, but obviously, this is one. On Butterflies of America this morph is also not shown. Because this is a very common species and I've not seen this morph before (either live or on pictures), I hazard a guess that it is quite rare.

I'm sure that other members of GNF are also looking forward to more of your photos!

Cheers,

Auke

P.S.: can I have your permission to show this picture on a butterfly forum that I'm a member of? Maybe they know more.

Offline Vivieke

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Hello Auke,

Of course you have my permission ...I'm very anxious to know what the result will be.  Thanks for your help.

Vie

Offline gernaat

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 06:18:55 AM »
Hi Vie,

I think it is a melanistic form/aberration of Anartia amathea amathea. Most species have such rare aberrations. Possibly, there are related to a disturbed or otherwise abnormal development, for instance under non-standard temperature. I have never seen any of these in Suriname, nor in Surinamese collections.

Hajo Gernaat

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Anartia amathea: Batesian mimicry? an abberation? Hybrid? | A. amathea Dark form
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I visited the Brownsberg Nature Park (Brokopondo district, Suriname) where on August 19 I saw an unusual Anartia flying over the camp grounds. Lack of a permit prevented me from collecting it, but studying the photos later on proved that it was just a colour abberation of A. amathea. Here are some photos of 1) the 'standard' A. amathea as we usually see it in Suriname (Paramaribo, March 2 2013), 2) a very fresh and very red specimen (Paramaribo, April 27 2014) and 3) the Brownsberg specimen, which is coloured dull, pale orange instead of bright red. A. amathea is a very variable species due to its large area of distribution and even 'our' subspecies A. amathea amathea can obviously differ quite a lot in appearace.

It would be interesting to see if there are more colour abberations of this species flying around in the Guianas.

Auke