Author Topic: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese plant species  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hello all,

I’ve made a list of books and websites which I think can be helpful for identifying plant species growing in the Guianas. To increase the usefulness of the list I’ve added some short descriptions. If you have additions or other remarks (like if you notice dead links or spelling errors), please post them as a reply to this message and I will include them in this list when I've got time. :)

Auke

BOOKS
Andel T. van & Ruysschaert S. 2011. Medicinale en rituele planten van Suriname. Kit Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 528 pp. ISBN 978-94-6022-139-2.
In Dutch. Black-and-white drawings and color photos. Lots of information including scientific and local names, botanical characteristics, uses, distribution etc. on wild and introduced plants of medicinal or cultural significance in Suriname.

Barabé D. & Gibernau M. 2016. Aracées de Guyane française: biologie et systématique. Publications Scientifiques du M.N.H.N., IRD Éditions, Paris, France. 349 pp. ISBN 978-2-85653-779-4.
In French. Color photos and tables. Information regarding flower types, pollination, etnobotanical uses, etcetera as well as keys, systematics and short species descriptions of all 122 species of Araceae known to occur in French Guiana.

Bhikhi, C. R., P. J. M. Maas, J. Koek-Noorman, and T. R. van Andel.  2016. Timber trees of Suriname:  An identification guide. LM Publishers, Volendam. 288 p. ISBN: 978-9460223914.
In English.

Cremers G. & Hoff M. 2003. Guide de la flore des bords de mer de Guyane française. Patrimoines Naturels volume 59. Publications Scientifiques du M.N.H.N., IRD Éditions, Paris, France. 214 pp. ISSN 1281-6213, ISBN (MNHN) 2-85653-558-5, ISBN (IRD) 2-7099-1533-2.
In French. Black-and-white drawings and color photos. Information about scientific and local names, botanical characteristics, global and local distribution of plants growing on the coast of French Guiana.

Granville J.-J. de & Gayot M. 2014. Guide des palmiers de Guyane. Office National des Forêts, Route de Montabo, French Guiana, France. 272 pp. ISBN 978-2-84207-374-9.
In French. Extensive information with lots of drawings and colour photographs of all native and exotic palm species present in French Guiana.

Hoffman, B. and S. Ruysschaert. 2017. – Lianas of the Guianas: A guide to woody climbers in the tropical forests of Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana. LM Publishers, Volendam. 623 p. ISBN: 978-9460222245.
In English.

Latreille C., Virollet D., Penez J.P., Dewynter M. & Jay P.O. 2004. Guide de reconnaissance des arbres de Guyane. Office National des Forêts, French Guiana, France. 374 pp. ISBN 2-84207-295-2.
In French. Black-and-white drawings and color photos. Information about scientific and local names, botanical characteristics, distribution and uses of indigenous trees growing in French Guiana.

Mori S.A., Cremers G., Gracie C., Granville de J.-J., Hoff M. & Mitchell J.D. 1997. Guide to the vascular plants of central French Guiana: Part 1. Pteridophytes, Gymnosperms, and Monocotyledons. Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden Vol. 76, Part 1. 422 pp. ISBN 0-89327-398-8.
In English.

Mori S.A., Cremers G., Gracie C., Granville de J.-J., Heald S.V., Hoff M. & Mitchell J.D. 2003. Guide to the vascular plants of central French Guiana: Part 2. Dicotyledons. Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden Vol. 76, Part 2. 944 pp. ISBN 0-89327-445-3.
In English.

NHN/Naturalis (editor). 1992-present. Flora of the Guianas. Kew Publishing, U.K.
In English. A multi-volume flora on all plant species of the Guianas. See this link for more information in English.

Ostendorf J.W. 1962. Nuttige planten en sierplanten in Surinam. Landbouwproefstation in Suriname Bulletin no. 79. 325 pp.
In Dutch. A famous but since long sold-out book regarding useful and ornamental plants grown in Suriname

Parahoe, M. 2012. De flora van Bakkie en Warappa. Warappa Foundation. 97 p. ISBN: 978-9991471389.
In Dutch.

Plouvier, D., and C. Van den bergh-Lodeweyckx. 2017. Bomen van Paramaribo: Een ode aan de mooiste hoofdstad in de tropen. LM Publishers, Volendam. 256 p. ISBN: 978-9460224256.
In Dutch.

Prévoteau J.-M. 2012. Les héliconias de Guyane française. 48 pp. ISBN 978-2-914817-97-4.
In French. Colour photos and information regarding all Heliconia species found in French Guiana

Roosmalen M.G.M. van. 1985. Fruits of the Guianan flora. Institute of Systematic Botany, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands & Silvicultural Department of Wageningen Agricultural University, Wageningen, The Netherlands. ISBN 90-9000987-6.
In English. Black-and-white drawings of fruits which are not always very helpful. Information on scientific and local names, distribution, characteristics of the fruits and animals consuming the fruits.

Steyermark J.A., Berry P.E., Yatskievych K. & Holst B.K. (general editors). 1995-2014. Flora of the Venezuelan Guayana. Missouri Botanical Garden.
In English. Flora in 9 large volumes. See this link for details in English.

Teunissen, P., and S. Teunissen (eds). 2015. Beschrijving van de Redidoti Nature Trail. Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) Office Paramaribo, Suriname, Paramaribo. 66 p.
In Dutch. Photos and limited information about a number of indigenous plants growing along the Redidoti Nature Trail near the Amerindian village of Redi Doti in the district Para (close to Jodensavanne). I'm not sure if this guide was actually printed and distributed.

Teunissen, P., and S. Teunissen (eds). 2015. Beschrijving van de Pierrekondre-Kumbasi Nature Trail. Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) Office Paramaribo, Suriname, Paramaribo. 56 p.
In Dutch. Photos and limited information about a number of indigenous plants growing along the Pierrekondre-Kumbasi Nature Trail near the Amerindian village of Redi Doti in the district Para (close to Jodensavanne). I'm not sure if this guide was actually printed and distributed.

Tjon Tam Sin, R. R. 2008 (2e druk). De traditionele geneeskrachtige kruiden. Privately published. 96 p.
In Dutch.

Troon F. van & Van den bergh-Lodewyckx C. 2009. Bomen van Tonka-eiland: Gids voor het natuurleerpad. WWF Guianas, Paramaribo, Suriname. 300 pp. ISBN 978-99914-7-017-7.
In Dutch, mostly consisting of color photos. Limited written information on characteristics as well as on cultural and commercial uses of all parts of the tree species growing along the educational trail on Tonka-Eiland, an Island in the Brokopondo lake in Suriname.

Wessels Boer J.G., Hekking W.H.A. & Schulz J.P. 1976. Fa joe kan tak’ mi no moi: Surinaamse wandelflora. Natuurgids serie B no. 4, part 1 (part 2 never published. Part 1 published as 2 volumes, in 00's reprinted as a single volume from an annotated copy). Stinasu, Paramaribo, Suriname. 291 pp.
In Dutch. Black-and-white drawings. Information on scientific and local names, botanical characteristics and some uses of common native and introduced plant species in Suriname.

WEBSITES
http://www.sipaliwinisavanna.com/index.html
In English. A website focusing on the plants and vegetation of the Sipaliwini Savanne in southern Suriname, mainly based on the result of scientific expeditions in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Also some information on the geology and fauna of the area.

http://floredeguyane.piwigo.com/
In French. Many photos from wild plants growing in French Guiana. With several different search options. Also a limited number of photos of animals and landscapes from the same country.

https://herbier.unistra.fr/flore-et-vegetation-doutre-mer/flore-et-vegetation-de-guyane/
In French. An overview of the extensive information on the flora and vegetation of French Guiana present in the University of Strassbourg.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 04:32:32 PM by Auke »

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
Re: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese plant species
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 08:46:36 AM »
Other books :

Flora of the Venezuelan Guyana, a huge flora of 9 volumes, in English, most of the Guianese plants included in.
Vascular Plants of Central French Guiana, flora in 2 volumes, in English, with very fine pictures of plants growing in Saül area.
Flora of the Guianas, a flora project that is still running, with many fascicles including one or several botanical families, in English.
Les Heliconia de Guyane Française, in French.

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:44:34 PM »
Thank you very much for the additions Olivier! :thumbs_up:

I've put them in the list in the first message and added some extra information about them which I found on the internet.

Auke

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
Recently published : Guide des palmiers de Guyane
Really good book, very well done, expecially drawings, in French, all native palms from French Guiana (59) described and pictured.

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
I just added a website of the University of Strassbourg with lots of information on the flora and vegetation of French Guiana.

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
New book available : Aracées de Guyane française, in French.

Offline Prem Dihal

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Wellicht al lang bekend:
Ostendorf, J.W. Nuttige planten en sierplanten in Suriname, Landbouwproefstation in Suriname Bulletin no 79, Mei 1962

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
Thank you both Olivier and Prem! :thumbs_up:

I just added these books to the list. I still need both of them, although I'm especially interested in the Araceae book, as I assume the content of Ostendorf's book may also largely be found in the recent book of Van Andel & Ruysschaert.

Cheers, Auke

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
I've just added another seven titles of books dealing with plants found on the Guiana Shield. :)

Cheers, Auke