Author Topic: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese fish species  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hello all,

I’ve made a list of books and websites which I think can be helpful for identifying fish species from the Guianas. To increase the usefulness of the list I’ve added some short descriptions. If you have additions or other remarks (like if you notice dead links or spelling errors), please post them as a reply to this message and I will include them in this list when I've got time. :)

Auke

BOOKS
Planquette P., Keith P. & Le Bail P.-Y 1996. Atlas des poissons d’eau douce de Guyane, Part 1. Collection du Patrimoine Naturel, Volume 22. M.N.H.N., Paris, France. 429 pp. ISSN 1158-422X, ISBN 2-86515-094-1.
In French. Color photos, black-and-white drawings, maps. Descriptions, biology and distributions of all (together with its 2 sister books) freshwater fishes of French Guiana.

Keith P., Le Bail P.-Y & Planquette P. 2000. Atlas des poissons d’eau douce de Guyane, Part 2, Book I. Collection du Patrimoines Naturels, Volume 43(I). Publications Scientifique du M.N.H.N., Paris, France. 286 pp. ISSN 1158-422X, ISBN 2-86515-117-4.
In French. Color photos, black-and-white drawings, maps. Descriptions, biology and distributions of all (together with its 2 sister books) freshwater fishes of French Guiana.

Le Bail P.-Y, Keith P. & Planquette P. 2000. Atlas des poissons d’eau douce de Guyane, Part 2, Book II. Collection du Patrimoines Naturels, Volume 43(II). Publications Scientifique du M.N.H.N., Paris, France. 307 pp. ISSN 1158-422X, ISBN 2-86515-117-4.

Léopold M. 2004. Poissons de mer de Guyane: Guide illustré. Éditions Ifremer, Plouzané, France. 214 pp. ISBN 2-84433-135-1.
In French. Color photos and black-and-white drawings. General info on marine conditions and marine fisheries of French Guiana as well as on the biology of fishes. Species accounts, including diagnostic characters, biology, distribution and importance for fisheries of many marine fish species of French Guiana. Contains a full checklist.

Melki, F. 2016. – Poissons d'eau douce de Guyane. Biotope éditions. 348 p. ISBN:  9782366621631.
In French. Info about the freshwater fishes of French Guiana.

Mol J.H.A. 2012. The freshwater fishes of Suriname. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands. 889 pp. ISBN 978 90 04 21074-5.
In English. Color photos. Chapters on fish ecology, faunal composition, human-induced threats etc. Main portion of the book contains diagnostic characteristics, distribution, habitat, diet etc. of all Surinamese freshwater fishes.

Rozen, A, and S. Rozen-Faou. 2013. – Le grand livre des poissons de Guyane de la mer et des estuaires. 191 p. ISBN: 978-2877638838.
In French. Another book regarding the marine fish species of French Guiana.

WEBSITES
http://www.agaankoy.com/category.php?cat=60
In French. A website with various very nice photos of French Guianese fishes but with in situ photos of many other animals and plants of French Guiana as well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 08:50:06 PM by Auke »

Offline Olivier

• Flore de Guyane
Re: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese fish species
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
A website showing some fishes of the Guianas : Agaankoy

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:39:30 PM »
Thank you so much for this addition! Keep 'm coming! :)

Cheers,

Auke

Offline Auke

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
I just added the titles etc. of some more books. :)

Auke
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 08:50:46 PM by Auke »