Author Topic: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese amphibian species  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hello all,

I’ve made a list of books and websites which I think can be helpful for identifying amphibian species from the Guianas. To increase the usefulness of the list I’ve added some short descriptions. If you have additions or other remarks (like if you notice dead links or spelling errors), please post them as a reply to this message and I will include them in this list when I've got time. :)

Auke

BOOKS
Lescure J. & Marty C. 2000. Atlas des amphibians de Guyana. Patrimoines Naturels volume 45. Publications Scientifique de M.N.H.N., Paris, France. 388 pp. ISSN 1158-422X, ISBN 2-85653-529-1.
In French. Color photos, maps, some black-and-white drawings. Diagnostic characteristics, ecology and distribiution of all French Guianese amphibians. Also spectrograms of the calls of most anurans (frogs and toads).

Ouboter P.E. & Jairam R. 2012. Amphibians of Suriname. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands. 376 pp. ISBN 978 90 04 21075 2.
In English. Color photos and maps. Descriptions, habitats, distributions and methods of reproduction of all Surinamese Amphibians.
The review of this book by P.J.R. Kok can be found here.

WEBSITES
http://amphibiaweb.org/maps/geo-soam.html
In English. Species lists per country. Contains color photos, sounds and rather poor maps of amphibians.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2017, 04:53:09 PM by Auke »

Offline Hoogmoed

Re: Helpful literature and websites for identifying Guianese amphibian species
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
It would be useful to use the bookreview by Kok about the Ouboter & Jairam Suriname amphibian book. Quite a lot of mistakes in the book are corrected and shortcomings are pointed out.
The reference is: P.J.R. Kok, 2014. Book review of Amphibians of Suriname by Ouboter & Jairam. Herpetological Review 45(4): 716-720.

Marinus Hoogmoed