Author Topic: insect study/collecting in the Guianas  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Dr. Tim

insect study/collecting in the Guianas
« on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:17:11 PM »
I recently became a member. I am interested in knowing, from all of you , where is a good place to go for insect study/collecting. I heard about a place on Kaw mountain in French Guiana that has lodging, food, and lab facility. Any suggestions or experiences you have had would be great help.  Or email me at tpgatschet240@gmail.com.  Thank you. Tim Gatschet 

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: insect study/collecting in the Guianas
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
Welcome at GNF Tim! :)

There are one or two sites on the ridge of the Kaw Mountain where there are lodging facilities. As far as I know, these places are mostly visited by insect collectors: they have permanent white sheets and lights standing there to attract moths, beetles and other insects, and apparently trapping is pretty good over there. I have never been collecting at those places myself though. The good thing about French Guiana is that it's still possible to collect insects there without the hassle of getting permits. Not all the French speak English though, and when you don't speak French, that might be a bit of trouble. French Guiana is also rather expensive.

I've been living in Suriname for about ten years now, and you officially need permits here for collecting insects. That means the infrastructure for collectors here is less, but it also means there is even more to be discovered. Many people here have a basic understanding of English, and the prices here are between those of French Guiana and Guyana. I'm studying scarab beetles, butterflies and some moth families myself, and as far as I know I'm the only one in Suriname with a serious (mobile) light collecting installation in the country. If you're interested: I rent myself and my equipment. You can contact me per PM (personal message) about this if you like.

Some insect collecting has been done in Guyana in the past, but I don't know about any recent activities. I'm pretty sure there is no existing infrastructure for insect collectors and I'm not sure about permit requirements. Except for maybe some indigenous people everybody speaks English and prices are rather low, but in Suriname it's said that there is quite a lot of crime in Guyana. I've not been there, so I have no first hand experience.

Of course, lots of things depend on what you want. 'Insect studying/collecting' is a rather broad topic... What kind of insects are you interested in? Do you study them professionally or as a hobby? Do you want to observe them in their natural habitat, photograph them or actually collect specimens? Answers to these and more questions might help me and others in informing you about the possibilities.

I'm looking forward to learning more about your interests. Hopefully some other members chip in with their experiences too!

Auke

Offline DenisG

Re: insect study/collecting in the Guianas
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Here are two places you should check :
http://www.moutouchi-guyane.fr/entomologie.php
http://www.gitelephragmipedium-saul.com/lephragmipediumactivites.html
There is no restriction or permit to collect insects in french Guiana outside the protected areas.