Author Topic: Timing -Turtle species nesting and egg hatching Journalist enquiry can you help?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline louisemurray

• www.louisemurray.com
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently visited Suriname for the first time and want to return to do a number of articles for European magazines. One would cover turtle watching. What I'd like to know is when would be the very best time to return to definitely be able to see Leatherbacks plus as many of the other 3 species as possible, as well as hatchlings. 

If anyone has any experience of seeing the turtles mating offshore i'd like to talk to you as images of that would be important for the article.  I have done a similar piece before in Mexico, but on olive ridleys.

Thanks in advance, hope to hera from someone here soon,
Louise

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hello Louise, and welcome at GNF!

There is a nesting/hatching calender on all four annual Surinamese sea turtle species in my book 'Gids voor uw bezoek aan de zeeschildpadden van Suriname' (Guide for your visit to the sea turtles of Suriname). I really suggest you buy this book, even though it's in Dutch. For the time being, however, I've made a copy of the calender for you. ;)

Keep in mind that the hawksbill (karetschildpad) and the warana (olive ridley) are rare in Suriname. The fifth species (loggerhead / dikkopschildpad) is extremely rare in Suriname and left out of the calendar.

Cheers, Auke

Offline louisemurray

• www.louisemurray.com
Hi Auke,

THanks very much for the nesting and hatchling emergence information, exactly what I was looking for.
Do you know if there are any NGO's working with turtles at Galibi or Brams point areas?

Louise

Offline louisemurray

• www.louisemurray.com
And I'd be delighted to buy your book, but since I cannot read Dutch not sure it can help  me much.
Thanks again for your help
Louise

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Hi Louise,

The local NGO at Galibi would be Stidunal (Stichting Duurzaam Natuurbeheer Alusiaka). There is also the Stinasu (Stichting Natuurbehoud Suriname) which a governmental foundation based in Paramaribo and in charge of the lodge in the Galibi Nature Reserve.

At Braamspunt there's no NGO directly involved with the sea turtles, although GHFS (Green Heritage Fund Suriname) are often there because they monitor the estuarine dolphins.

There's also WWF Guianas, who have the sea turtles as one of there main subjects but can't do much more than educating people and financing the projects of others.

I guess that should keep you busy for now? ;)

Good luck!