Author Topic: Grasshopper | Tropidacris collaris (Romaleidae)  (Read 2675 times)

Offline rushe

Grasshopper | Tropidacris collaris (Romaleidae)
« on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
I saw this Grasshopper three years ago, September 2011, in a tree in Vierkinderen, Para. It was about 10 cm in size. I took a picture, because I never had seen a grasshopper like this before. I only know the fully green kind.
Rushe.

Edit: name added to title - Auke
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 12:14:46 AM by Auke »

Offline Auke

• Administrator
Re: Grasshopper | Tropidacris collaris (Romaleidae)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
Hi Rushe,

Indeed a grasshopper, as can be seen by the relatively short antennas (compared to the very long antennas of katydids). This time I'm happy to say I can provide you with a full name! :) This is a Tropidacris collaris, one of the largest grasshoppers of the Guianas. It belongs to the family Romaleidae, which are called lubber grasshoppers in English.

Despite their size they are usually quite hard to spot because of their cryptic coloration (camougflage). They are sometimes attrackted to bright lights though, in which case their camouflage loses its function. They are also protected by the spines on their hind legs, which can pierce the skin of their natural predators when they forcefully try to jump away from their grip.

Cheers,

Auke

Offline rushe

Re: Grasshopper | Tropidacris collaris (Romaleidae)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
Thanks again, Auke,
and I could only see the grasshopper because it was on a branch close to my hammock.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 04:56:20 PM by rushe »